Teacher: Rusty Kennedy
- Just last night I received a text from someone showing me their friends letter of excommunication in the next month from a local church.
1 “Truly I tell you, anyone who doesn’t enter the sheep pen by the gate but climbs in some other way is a thief and a robber.
- Shepherd – Any kind of leader (Political or Spiritual)
- Jesus is now speaking about the Pharisees who excommunicated the healed Jewish man.
- They are the thieves.
- They are communicating a false message.
- Picture of Russian Jesus
- The difference is this… The Pharisees believe the entrance to the pen was through the oral law.
- Jesus lived under the written Law.
- The Pharisees added so much to the Gospel that it became “religious”
- Shepherd’s pen was typically a stall area that was attached to a dwelling (home).
- Sometimes the pens were shared and between two homes.
- But there was only ONE door.
- He calls each by name… and they knew their shepherd.
- The Shepherd leads them in and out of the pen.
- Jesus… my Shepherd leads me out of error.
- How many voices do you have in your head?
- Where do your thoughts come from?
- 1. 5 Senses – Past experiences stored in your brain.
- 2. Power of Sin that dwells in our flesh (Romans 5:17 - 17 So now I am no longer the one doing it, but it is sin living in me.)
- 3. The same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead.
- Illustration of a blindfolded teen listening for her father.
- Someone please tell me why Jesus is speaking in parables.
- This is the 3rd time Jesus referred to Himself as “I AM”
- “THE” good shepherd – Jesus
- “A” shepherd – of Leavener
- You are not my flock
- Look higher than me
- Saved from hell… saved from condemnation… saved from these earthly bodies… saved from sin…
- Who is this thief? – The Pharisees… but ultimately it is satan
- John 8:44 - because he is a liar and the father of lies.
- Anyone that adds to the Gospel.
- I did Officer Ron Shephard’s graveside last Saturday and everyone was standing around the plot.
- I had the ear of the Mayor and the Fishers leadership.
- I had no time to teach an “explained” Gospel.
- I simply stated that Ron believed in God/Jesus and that was all that mattered.
- Immediately, POS kicked in and started reminding me of all the other saints there and did I explain the Gospel “well enough”.
- It can’t get any simpler than “believe in Jesus”.
- You don’t need all the religion.
- But watch this… I am crazy enough to believe Jesus’ next statement.
- Once believed that Jesus promised me a “good life”
- I would be void of suffering.
- But I have come to understand
- Colossians 3:4 - 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
- Galatians 2:20-21 - 20 I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing. 
- It’s not about my circumstances… it is about Christ living in me.
- Jesus came to give me His life.
- How much of Christ’s life do I have? An abundance. A full life… 100%
- Romans 5:10 - 10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled (past tense) to God through the death of his Son, then how much more, having been reconciled, will we be (present/future) saved by his life.
- What does that look like for you?
14 “I am the good shepherd. I know my own, and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me, and I know the Father. I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 But I have other sheep that are not from this sheep pen; I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. Then there will be one flock, one shepherd.
- The Gentiles and the Jews as one.
19 Again the Jews were divided because of these words. 20 Many of them were saying, “He has a demon and he’s crazy. Why do you listen to him?” 21 Others were saying, “These aren’t the words of someone who is demon-possessed. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”
- Interview with Michelle Hernandez
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Ro 7:17). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Jn 8:44). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Col 3:4). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Ga 2:20–21). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Ro 5:10). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Jn 10:1–21). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.