Teacher: Rusty Kennedy
JESUS AT THE FESTIVAL OF DEDICATION
22 Then the Festival of Dedication took place in Jerusalem, and it was winter.
- One of the seven festivals that Matt talked about on Labor Day Weekend
- This is actually Hanukkah which starts next Tuesday, December 12 and lasts 8 days.
- It was never mentioned in the Old Testament but obviously is here in the New Testament and Jesus observed this celebration.
- It was a celebration that actually occurred between the testaments.
- Greeks defeated the Persians (Alexander the Great)
- In 167 B.C. a Greek ruler by the name of Antiochus Epiphanies set up an altar to Zeus over the altar of burnt offerings in the Jewish temple in Jerusalem. He also sacrificed a pig on the altar in the Temple in Jerusalem. This event is known as the abomination of desolation.
- A year later, The Maccabees came in and defeated Anctiochus Ephiphanies and cleansed the temple.
- This rededication of Jewish faith and the temple is this Festival of Dedication. (Hanukkah)
- All sides
- Probably protected by weather. (avg low in Dec is 43 degrees)
25 “I did tell you and you don’t believe,” Jesus answered them.
- Jesus is basically saying, “I am always going to keep you in suspense because you simply choose not to believe.”
- You’ve dug in and chosen a side.
- How many times do I have tell you?
- You will always have two choices… Spirit or Flesh.
- You come to me… I am going to tell you the same thing every time.
- You come to me to get approval of your flesh
- You want to tell me your story and justification
- I’ve got one answer… follow the Spirit.
- You have to know the Father to know His voice.
- Can you be distracted? Absolutely.
- There is no question about salvation here… it is about living life here on earth.
- Security of the believer.
- We can know 100% that we have salvation.
- Your works will prove that.
RENEWED EFFORTS TO STONE JESUS
31 Again the Jews picked up rocks to stone him.
32 Jesus replied, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these works are you stoning me?”
- Jesus has done 3 Messianic miracles:
- 1) Healed a Jewish Leper
- 2) Cast a demon out of mute
- 3) Healed a man blind since birth
- Jewish law required those guilty of blasphemy (saying they were God) would be killed.
- Your judges had delegated authority
- But Jesus and His Father are one… not delegated authority
- It was simply a matter of examining the evidence honestly and being willing to accept the truth.
MANY BEYOND THE JORDAN BELIEVE IN JESUS
40 So he departed again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing earlier, and he remained there.
- Perea - 10-15 miles east of Jerusalem.
- The Pharisees (Jews) would not follow Him there.
- Sanhedrin had no authority in this region
- Herod Antipas had authority here.
- Geographically thinned out the crowds.
THE NARROW WAY
22 He went through one town and village after another, teaching and making his way to Jerusalem.
- This is Jesus’ last trip to Jerusalem.
- Jesus’s public ministry is coming to an end… and someone asks Him why He has so few followers.
- The broad way is Law (Mishnah)
- The narrow way is Grace. (Rest in your works)
- “Make every effort” – Strive (Believe & Know)
- John 6:29 - 29 Jesus replied, “This is the work of God—that you believe in the one he has sent.”
- John 17:3 - 3 This is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and the one you have sent—Jesus Christ.
- I strive to forget what I have been incorrectly taught.
- In a statement that would have shocked His hearers, Jesus alludes to non-Jews coming from all over the world to join the banquet in God’s kingdom
- You don’t always have to be right.
- It’s OK to let others go before you
 Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). The Bible exposition commentary (Vol. 1, p. 333). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Jn 10:22–42). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Barry, J. D., Mangum, D., Brown, D. R., Heiser, M. S., Custis, M., Ritzema, E., … Bomar, D. (2012, 2016). Faithlife Study Bible (Lk 13:29). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.