Teacher: Rusty Kennedy
41 But give from what is within to the poor, and then everything is clean for you.
42 “But woe to you Pharisees! You give a tenth of mint, rue, and every kind of herb, and you bypass justice and love for God. These things you should have done without neglecting the others.
- Tithing and didn’t help those in need.
- If you are worried about tithing off the gross or net; or worried about how others might view and these things are important to you… I tell you to zoom out and look at the bigger picture.
- You can try to fix your finances, try to fix your marriage, try to fix your kids, try to keep your things in order.
- Zoom out.
- There is a bigger picture.
- In Numbers it says that anyone touches a corpse is ceremonially unclean.
- You are causing people to fall into holes and die.
- Woe to you who are religious
- You meet a religious person and you will never be changed. You will just try to behave like them.
- You meet a person living a life by another you will be forever changed because it is Christ living in you.
- If I live my life by another… Do I make choices?
- Jesus lived His life by the Father
- I have the mind of Christ?
- 1 Corinthians 2:15-16 - 15 The spiritual person, however, can evaluate everything, and yet he himself cannot be evaluated by anyone. 16 For
- who has known the Lord’s mind,
- that he may instruct him?
- But we have the mind of Christ.
- Can I think like Christ?
- Do I have the ability to live like Christ?
- Paul said, “Christ is my life”
- “For me to live is Christ”
- He wasn’t working for Christ… He was enjoying Christ.
- Do we imitate Jesus or live by Christ’s life
- Can you do any work for God?
- But God can do incredible things through you.
- Ephesians 5:1-2 – Therefore, be imitators of God, as dearly loved children, 2 and walk in love, as Christ also loved us and gave himself for us, a sacrificial and fragrant offering to God.
- How do you become perfect imitators? By living the law perfectly… impossible.
- Christ lived His life by the Father
- We are to live our life by Christ
- Let’s say you are able to change your behavior.
- There are 2 ways that happens:
- 1) Out of your own discipline
- 2) Out of living your life by another source
- How do you overcome temptation?
- You can do that in your own strength
- You can wait for God to do a supernatural work in your life to remove that temptation.
- There has to be a heart change
- Romans 6:6-7 - 6 For we know (choice #1) that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be rendered powerless so that we may no longer be enslaved to sin, 7 since a person who has died is freed from sin.
- Romans 6:11 - 11 So, you too consider (choice #2) yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
- Romans 6:13 - 13 And do not offer any parts of it to sin as weapons for unrighteousness. But as those who are alive from the dead, offer (choice #3) yourselves to God, and all the parts of yourselves to God as weapons for righteousness.
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 - 13 No temptation has come upon you except what is common to humanity. But God is faithful; he will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation he will also provide a way out so that you may be able to bear it. 
45 One of the experts in the law answered him, “Teacher, when you say these things you insult us too.”
46 Then he said: “Woe also to you experts in the law! You load people with burdens that are hard to carry, and yet you yourselves don’t touch these burdens with one of your fingers.
47 “Woe to you! You build tombs for the prophets, and your fathers killed them. 48 Therefore, you are witnesses that you approve the deeds of your fathers, for they killed them, and you build their monuments.
- You are in agreement with what your fathers have done.
- John the Baptist had just died.
“Yes, I tell you, this generation will be held responsible.
52 “Woe to you experts in the law! You have taken away the key to knowledge. You didn’t go in yourselves, and you hindered those who were trying to go in.”
- Religious people will try to kill you.
- 11 years in youth ministry… I taught law
- I taught performance
- I don’t question salvation
- I’d love to reteach
- Religion will never change one’s heart.
- Religion only causes people to try to conform in their behavior and it is impossible.
- Religion will kill you.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (1 Co 2:15–16). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Eph 5). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Ro 6:6–7). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Ro 6:11). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Ro 6:13). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (1 Co 10:13). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.
 Christian Standard Bible. (2017). (Lk 11:1–54). Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers.