Teacher: Rusty Kennedy, Keith Tyner & Matt Tully
Series: Holy Spirit
Considering the Spirit, read scripture in context, to verify truth, repetition is emphasis.
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit
Mark 3:22 Generational sin of the Jewish leaders defying Jesus (verses 23-30 is the specific event in time.) Not possible today.
How do I know my spiritual gift?
- Know Him. “It seems as though the manifestation of the Spirit would be broader than the list in 1 Corinthians 12. As you know the Spirit, it is evident.”
- What can you offer to the common good of the body? 1 Corinthians 12.7
- What are you good at and enjoy doing?
- Has someone told you you are good at something?
Greek - Fill …. Hebrew - Consecrate, devote, carry out
Acts 13:52 - Apostles couldn’t stop thinking about God.
Romans 15:13,14 Fill your thoughts
Ephesians 3:14-19 Know God, knowledge is stored in your brain
Ephesians 5:18 drunk is to be controlled by something
Acts 2:4, Ephesians 4:30 Sealed = identified and secure
Acts 4:8 = Ephesians 4:30 Peter was just identified with Jesus
Acts 4:31 Identified with Jesus
Acts 7:55 Completely mentally focused
Acts 9:17 Paul was identified with Jesus
Acts 13:9 Believers were recently identified with Jesus
Getting Drunk -- HealthGuidance.org
- Consume alcohol. Once processed into the blood, circulated throughout the body. If done on an empty stomach, occurs much quicker.
- Body tries to eliminate the alcohol.
- Reaches the brain and inhibits it in order; front to back.
- Behavior becomes less inhibited
- Slows down decision making, processing and math skills.
- Reaches hippocampus which directs emotions and memory.
- Memories aren’t formed.
- Emotions are exaggerated.
- Cerebellum is impacted. Loss of balance results.
- Medulla is polluted which can cause breathing to cease.
- Consume Him via Word, Psalms, Songs and fellowship. He circulates through your entire body.
- Body tries to eliminate spiritual matter.
- When it reaches the brain and transforms it.
- Behavior is transformed as worship occurs.
- Decision making and mental processing improve.
- Emotions and memory improve.
- More balanced view of life.
- Breath better from peace of mind.
Filled with the Spirit (2 contexts)
- Identified with the Spirit at the point of salvation.
- Mindful of God.
- What is the motive for its use?
- Spiritual gift is for the common good of believers. 1 Corinthians 12.7
- A talent can be used either as a spiritual gift or by the flesh.
- Using your talent for your provision is for the common good. You are not a need for the body and can contribute to the needs of others as Spirit leads you.
Neither terms are used repetitively in scripture.
1 Thessalonians 5:15-22 Quench - put out. Don’t ignore the Spirit. THINK!
Ephesians 4:30 Grieve - cause to suffer Don’t ignore the Spirit. THINK!
Spirit sees/knows all and loves you. If you don’t listen to the Spirit, He knows your consequences and is saddened by the circumstances your ignorance will yield.
The Spirit loves you and wants to live the adventure for you!
Do you feel the Holy Spirit?
Red flags pop up in my mind when I hear, ‘I feel like…” “I feel”
When the Spirit leads me, I often feel scared, anxious and defiant.
When the Spirit does His thing, I often feel awe, joy and amazement.
I found 22 verses that used the word feel. It seemed neutral as a way of decision making.
Acts 2:43 Kept feeling a sense of awe.
Feelings seemed to be a cause for Jesus and a result for followers.
Be careful using feelings as a cause.
What is praying in the Spirit?
The moment we are believers, we are in Christ, the Spirit and the Father. Praying “in the Spirit” is simply the state we are constantly in at that point.
Will the Spirit ever leave you?
You are sealed. Ephesians 1:13, 4:30; 2 Corinthians 1:22 Pledged
We are now one spirit with God! 1 Corinthians 6:17
The picture of a seal is related to the King’s signet ring. A order of the King is established and then sealed with hot wax and impressed with the signet ring. This is the picture of us being sealed by the Spirit. The punishment of breaking the seal is death!
This is a covenant relationship. A covenant relationship is the 100% acceptance of the new relationship and the old relationship is gone. The woman marries the man in a covenant and her name is changed at that moment.
How is the Spirit like fire?
- Fire is powerful
- Fire is not limited by natural barriers
- Fire destroys od to make way for new life
- Fire is more prevalent when it is fanned.
- Fire brings continued life.
- Spirit is manifested like fire.
- Fire is bright.
- Fire attracts attention.
Spelling and translation of Bible you use.
Is there value to spiritual gift testing?
- I feel like those are designed to get you busy for God.
- If you pursue His heart, He will direct you what to do. Psalm 37:4
Should we worship the Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit is God.
Romans 12:1,2 Worship is offering your body as a living sacrifice.
When you do what the Holy Spirit tells you to do, you worship Him.
What is the seal of the Holy Spirit?
- It is the identifier of the Spirit.
- It assures eternal life.
- It unites us with the Spirit.
- Philippians 4:8 Is it true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, good repute, worthy of praise
- Philippians 4:9 observe Paul’s example
- It will be motivated by love.
- It may be unusual.
- It won’t be contradictory to the things above.
- It should be excellent and not just good. (The good is the enemy of the excellent.)
What is the power of the Spirit?
The Spirit’s power is infinite. It is incomparable.
It is the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead! Romans 8:11
What is the difference between the manifest presence of the Holy Spirit and God’s omnipresence?
Nothing other than your recognition of His manifestation.
If you believe in a supernatural God, you will see a supernatural God. If you don’t, probably not.
2 Timothy 3:5 Holding to a form of godliness, but denying the power therein.
Ephesians 3:14-19 Prayer to see Spiritual!
Ephesians 1:18-23 Prayer for us to Know Him!
Ephesians 4:17-27 Prayer to walk purely.
Ephesians 5:1-2 Walk in love.
Ephesians 5:15-17 Walk wisely.
Galatians 5:10 Confidence in you in the Lord.
Galatians 5:13 Serve one another.
Galatians 5:16 Walk by the Spirit.
Galatians 5:17-18 Spirit vs. flesh
Galatians 5:25 Let us walk by the Spirit.